Saturday, September 25, 2010

Fruit Kabobs

We belong to a co-op preschool, which means about once a month I help out in the classroom.  One of responsibilities of the co-op parent is to provide the snack.  I usually try to bring in something the kids can make, so this time we did fruit kabobs.   I hadn’t really thought through the process, so it was a little disorganized with the first few kids, but once I got things figured out it was a great project.  Each child got an orange, with both ends cut, a straw,  strawberries and half a banana.  For the first group I gave the kids the fruit whole, but I quickly realized having the kids, peel, slice and skewer the fruit was too much, so I cut the fruit and let them focus on the assemble process.  I didn’t get any pictures of them assembling the kabobs, as I said I wasn’t organized.  Some of the kids put a lot of effort into making the kabobs and tried to make patterns or group all the same fruit together.  Others put on one piece of fruit and called it a kabob.  Almost all of the kids spent a lot of time just trying to suck the juice out of the orange, I had intended for them to do this at snack time, but a straw is just too much fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment