Monday, December 27, 2010

Christmas Eve

We usually do our big dinner on Christmas eve, but this year we had a lot to do on the 24th - like take two sleeping children out of their room, disassemble their bed/crib and assemble new bunk beds - so we switched things around and did the big meal on Christmas day.  For Christmas eve we basically did sandwiches and salad.  I made up a batch of pizza dough and for the adults I did reubens and for the kids I did wrapped hot dogs.  It was far from fancy and a dinner that I would do on any hurried night, yet it tasted absolutely delicious.  There really is a lot to be said for the company and atmosphere in which you enjoy your food. It was nice having Christmas eve so relaxed, and I think we might switch our traditions up for the next few years, at least until the kids are a little bigger and while Santa still has a lot of work to do on Christmas eve.
Hot Dog Wrap

I didn't get a picture of any of our meals from Christmas eve or Christmas day, I don't know what happened, but this is the Ruben recipe.  It is based on a recipe my Dad has been using for about 25 years, I think it came from Gourmet, and it is one of my favorite Fall/Winter dishes.

Wrapped Reuben Sandwich
1 recipe Pizza Dough
1 lb Corned Beef, thinly sliced
1/2 lb Swiss Cheese, thinly sliced
1 cup Sauekraut
1/4 cup Thousand Island Dressing
Egg Wash

Roll out pizza dough into a large rectangle, about 9x12, place on large baking sheet.  Spread dressing on dough, leaving a 1" boarder on all sides.  Layer corned beef and swiss cheese on top of dressing, top with sauerkraut.  Along each long side make 1" cuts about every 1/2".  Working on alternate sides bring up the dough, enclosing the filling.   Brush egg wash over entire sandwich.
Bake at 375 until dough is golden brown and baked through.

No comments:

Post a Comment