Saturday, April 30, 2011

Daring Baker's - Maple Mousse

This month the Daring Baker's were challenged to make maple mousse in an edible bowl. The challenge sounded fun, but I had absolutely no creative ideas for the bowl, so I wasn't sure if I was going to get around to it.  Evelyne, who hosted the challenge, suggested making a bacon cup which looks very cool, but sounds very heavy and greasy.  I like the idea of bacon sprinkled on top of the mousse, but a whole cup of bacon sounds a bit much. 


After much deliberation I decided to make a crust using pretzels, I had a lot left over after Maggie's last co-op day so it was a perfect way to get rid of them.  I made the crust the same way you would make a graham cracker crust and baked them in mini muffin tins.  Unfortunately my crust didn't work out very well.  I had made it too dry and then over baked it, so I ended up having only two that came out of the tins in tact.



The mousse on its own was delicious, but I love maple syrup.  If you don't love the stuff then the mousse would probably be too much. After my crust flopped, I kind of gave up on the project and just plopped some mousse in the two cups that did come out - which explains the ugly picture.  The rest I dished up in regular boring glass cups layering it with the crumbled crust that didn't work.  The saltiness of the pretzel crust was great with the sweetness of the mousse and provided a nice balance.  I think I preferred the layering since you got some sweet and salty with each bite.  With the two cups that did work there wasn't the same balance and the sweetness of the mousse was much more pronounced. This would be a great mousse in the fall served in a baked apple sprinkled with pretzels, or even bacon.  



As always the Daring Bakers' came up with some amazing creations.  A couple people did pancake cups which look fun.  Check them out, there are a lot of great ideas!

The April 2011 Daring Bakers’ challenge was hosted by Evelyne of the blogCheap Ethnic Eatz. Evelyne chose to challenge everyone to make a maple mousse in an edible container. Prizes are being awarded to the most creative edible container and filling, so vote on your favorite from April 27th to May 27th at http://thedaringkitchen.com!

No comments:

Post a Comment