Friday, June 3, 2011

Blue Ribbon Blue Berry Muffins

Like my oldest my youngest loves being in the kitchen.  She really enjoys helping, but having her help is always an interesting experience mainly because she is very fond of tasting everything.  I have mentioned this before, but she has a strange obsession with eating the flour while cooking, she doesn't ask for it any other time, just when I am cooking, but she is unique in many ways so I don't know why this flour obsession fascinates me so.


Today while her brother and sister where at school we made blueberry muffins.  I have many different recipes for blueberry muffins, but today I used my oldest recipe.  This is the recipe I used to win my first cooking competition.  When I was about 8 I entered these muffins in the 4-H county fair and won a blue ribbon.  I remember being very nervous while making them and was very worried they would stick to the pan and that the muffins wouldn't be uniform in size or have an even distribution of blueberries.  The batch of  muffins we made today, definitely would not have won, the berries sank to the bottom and the tops didn't have an even curve, but they were very tasty.

Blue Ribbon Blueberry Muffins
Print Version

1 c. Sugar
¼ c. Butter
1 c. Milk
1 Egg
1 ⅓ c. Flour
2 tsp. Baking Powder
¾ tsp. Cinnamon
¾ tsp. Nutmeg
½ tsp. Vanilla
¼ tsp. Salt
1 c. Blueberries

Preheat oven 375
Toss ⅓ cup flour with blueberries, set aside.  In small bowl whisk remaining flour, baking powder, cinnamon nutmeg and salt together.  In mixing bowl cream sugar and butter together until light and fluffy.  Add egg, mix until combined.  Add milk and vanilla, stir until combined then gradually add flour mixture, bl ending until just combined.  With rubber spatula gently stir in blueberries.  Fill lined muffin tins ¾ full.  Bake 20-30 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. My best friend when I was younger also loved eating flour. Not me!

    These sound so good. I just bought a bunch of blueberries today--yum! Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete