Monday, September 12, 2011

September SRC - Brownies

It is Secret Recipe Club time again and this month I had the privilege of meeting Jenn over at  The Misadventures of Mrs. B.  I got sucked into Jenn's blog and ended up spending a lot of time over there.  She has great recipes as well as wonderful reflective "self:" articles.  I really enjoyed getting to know her.

As I said there were a lot of great recipes to choose from and I had a really difficult time deciding which one to try.  I was tempted by her Buffalo Chicken Dip, but I had just made chicken wings, so I decided to bookmark that for a later date.  After more contemplation I decided on Indian Butter Chicken, I was looking forward to making a wonderful Indian feast and then Jenn had to go and post this recipe and the chicken went out the door.  The chicken is on this week's menu, but the brownies became a priority.

There were a couple of reasons why I had to make these brownies.  Jenn's description of them being "decadent, super chocolate, sexy, rich, fudgy brownies" was pretty persuasive, but what really clinched it for me was the fact that she found the recipe on Pintrest and I have to agree with her that that site is evil.

Reading the recipe I knew this brownies would be all she described them to be, but decided to up them a little more by adding chopped Reeses Peanut Butter Cups and Chocolate chips -  oh my decadent to the extreme.  With or without the extras this is a great recipe and it was wonderful to find it on such a great blog.

The “Baked” Brownie (Printer Ready)
from The Misadventures of Mrs. B

Ingredients:
1¼ c. All-purpose flour
1 tsp.  Salt
2 tbsp. Unsweetened cocoa powder
11 ounces Dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
1 c. (8 ounces) Unsalted butter, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 tsp Instant coffee
1½ c.  Granulated sugar
½ c.  Light brown sugar, packed
5 Eggs, at room temperature
2 tsp Vanilla extract

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Coat a 9×13 pan with cooking spray, line with parchment paper or foil.  

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder and salt.  Set aside.

In a double boiler, or large bowl set over a pot of simmering water, melt the chocolate, butter and coffee together.  Whisk until smooth.  Turn heat off and add sugars.  Stir to combine.

Remove bowl from on top of pot.  Mixture should be at room temperature.  In separate bowl lightly beat eggs and vanilla.  Add to chocolate mixture, mix until just combine.  Do not over-beat, over mixing will cause the brownies to become more cakes and less fudgy.  

Sprinkle flour mixture on top of chocolate and gently fold in until just a little bit of flour is visible.  

Pour batter into prepared pan and place in oven.  Bake for 30-40 minute.  Brownies are finished when a toothpick inserted into the center is clean, with just a few crumbs clinging.  Use parchment/foil to lift brownies from pan.  Cool and cut into squares.


*As I mentioned I added peanut butter cups and chocolate chips to the recipe, I didn't add these items to the recipe listed above since I just added what remains I found in the pantry. It is one of my favorite ways to use up little bits of candy.



5 comments:

  1. I played a little game with myself to look at the links and see who had my blog - of course I figured it out right away! :) I'm so glad you made these - they're dangerous, aren't they? And, um, the peanut butter cups? AAAAH! What a great idea! Now I wish I'd had some in the pantry when I made the brownies! Hmmm...I might need to make them again... ;)

    Thank you for your kind words about my blog, too. I'm so glad to have met you through SRC!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These looked great on MrsJenB, and even better with that addition on candy, cause really what isn't made better with candy?

    ReplyDelete
  3. With words like sexy, super rich chocolaty, decedent and fudgy, I'd make them too.

    If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my SRC recipe this month: Welsh Cakes.

    Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

    ReplyDelete
  4. All the adjectives that describe a perfect brownie. Fudgy is my 'must', so I 'must' try these. Couldn't have chosen a better recipe! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooooooh, these brownies look AWESOME! Yum, definitely put me in the mood for sugar and chocolate. :)

    ReplyDelete