Monday, December 19, 2011

Buche de Noel Trifle

This cake was just not meant to be.  I think my excitement at having my Mom's birthday cake ready by the time she came down for a visit and the fact that I would finally be posting my Cake Slice cake on time jinxed the whole process.

I should have known to step away from this cake when I broke a half dozen eggs, but no I just went to the store and bought more.  Over baking the cake should have been another sign, or when the cake broke apart while rolling it, but no I just carried on.  By the time I messed up the filling it was too late to turn back.


So instead of a Chocolate Hazelnut Buche de Noel birthday cake my Mom received a Chocolate Cherry trifle.   While it wasn't the look I was going for it was very tasty.  

This ended up not resembling Tish Boyle's Chocolate Hazelnut cake in the least bit.   I used her cake and buttercream recipes, but that was it.  The trifle consisted of chocolate sponge cake, with a rum glaze and chocolate fudge cream layered between buttercream sprinkled with dried cherries and almonds.  .

To see what this month's cake slice bakers cake was supposed to look like, check out the other bakers.




5 comments:

  1. Like I said many times before.... if we can eat it with a spooon, nothing is ever lost!

    Main thing was - you gave it a go! Great save!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a nice excuse to eat buttercream by the spoonful. It is usually hard to justify doing that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As Carla Hall would say, this was your "gone be" moment - as in, "It's gone be okay." :) Great job in salvaging dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you turned something that didn't work out into something that looks delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete