Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Garden Sitting

We have been garden sitting for the past week 



and it has had many tasty rewards - tomatoes, zucchini, squash, peppers, chard and even some blackberries.


We have been enjoying many wonderful meals, but the yellow squash has really challenged me.  I usually just grill or saute squash, but you can only have that so often before there is some rebellion.  Plus there were some really large squash which wouldn't be very tasty just grilled, so I decided to try some stuffed squash and I am happy to say it was very well received.


It is one of my favorite types of recipes - very easy and very versatile.  Simply choose a grain and a protein and you have a meal.   I opted for rice and beef, because that is what was in the fridge.  I kept it simple, but the recipe can be enhanced with some veggies.  The options are endless!

Since we still have lots of squash I am definitely going to continue experimenting with this dish.  I think next I am going to try a lighter filling.  Maybe a cold quinoa or couscous salad and add the filling to squash that has already been cooked.  I will keep you posted.

Stuffed Squash

1 lb ground beef
1 onion, finely chopped
1 cup diced tomatoes
1 cup rice
2 cups vegetable broth
1 tsp finely chopped oregano
1 tsp finely chopped basil
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup ricotta cheese
1/2 cup parmigiana cheese
4 large yellow squash, halved lengthwise seeds remove

Preheat oven to 375.
Over medium high, heat large saute pan.  Add ground beef, cook until brown.  Pour out excess fat, add onions.  Cook until onions are soft, then add tomatoes. Cook for 2-3 minutes then add rice and vegetable broth.  Cover and cook until rice is soft.  Stir in ricotta and seasonings.  Evenly divide filling between squash halves, sprinkle with parmigiana cheese and bake for 20-30 minutes or until squash is tender.  








1 comment:

  1. This looks wonderful! Squash is one of those things that I love but never quite know how to cook - so thanks for the idea! This sounds really delicious! Next time I see some nice looking squash, I'll have to try this out! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete