Monday, July 9, 2012

Texas Caviar

I am not sure when I will learn that procastination is not a good thing.  Every month I get my SRC assignment choose 2 or 3 recipes that look really good and am determined to make them right away.  Yet every month it seems as if I am scrambling to make something a few days before the posting deadline.

This month I knew I had to make something early in the month because of travel plans.  I gave myself a deadline of June 28th, but did I have anything made by then - no.  I was still ok though, I had a few days before we left on vacation and I had all the ingredients to make one of Noelle's Green Monster Smoothies, in Popsicle form.  I knew we had some super hot days coming up and couldn't wait to have a Cherry Bom Bom waiting in the freezer.

Then the power went out for two days, making our refrigerator look like this.



One good thing about an outage is that your fridge gets a really good cleaning.

 I knew the produce wouldn't last while we were gone so I passed it on to neighbors and decided to get back to An Opera Singer in the Kitchen when I returned from vacation.  I knew there were a lot of great recipes I could choose from and would definitely be able to find something to make, even if I only had a day to do it.

Since our weather was still unbearably hot I decided to go for something light and easy - Texas Caviar Salad.



This was the perfect dish for a hot summer night.  We made a meal out of it by serving it with some tortilla chips and avocado slices, but it also makes a great side dish.  I made it early in the morning, allowing all the flavors to meld together. I didn't need to turn the stove on during the heat of the day and we came home to a delicious and belly filling meal after an afternoon at the pool.  

I modified Noelle's recipe slightly - using canned beans instead of dry and reducing proportions.  Be sure to go visit An Opera Singer in the Kitchen. she has a lot of great vegan recipes on her site, so be sure to go check them out.


Texas Caviar


1 can black eyed-peas, drained and rinsed
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup corn (canned, frozen or fresh)
2 cups tomatoes, diced
1 cup cilantro, finely diced
1/2 cup red onion, finely diced
1/2 cup Italian dressing

Combine all ingredients, mix well.  Cover and refrigerate for at least one hour.
Enjoy!


12 comments:

  1. I am laughing at your putting off the actual cooking. You are one of many of us. I usually make mine a week before which covers me but once, I completely forgot until a day before and went rushing around to catch up.

    The salad looks like a good choice. I would like to make it also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks great! Very colorful and great for summer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks so easy and great for summer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A friend of mine made this all the time in college, great memories! Thanks for such a great src pick :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is always a favorite, always delicious and so simple to make.

    If you haven't already, I'd love for you to check out my SRC entry Double Chocolate Mousse Cake

    Lisa~~
    Cook Lisa Cook

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks refreshing and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. just had this this weekend and it was delish! now i don't have to go and beg for the recipe - great pick! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL, I can relate. I will mark a million things and narrow it down, thinking I will make it soon but find myself usually scrambling to get it done in time. This time I got it done with a week to spare but almost forgot to post it. LOL! Your Texas caviar looks scrumptious-this would be great for parties!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad you chose this! I am so sorry the freezer broke down. You will have to try that Cherry Bom Bom soon though. Glad you enjoyed the salad!

    ReplyDelete
  10. this is one of my favorite recipes and one that people always ask me to make. I'm amazed at all the ways it can be adapted to personal taste.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Procrastination is the name of the game here, too. Looks tasty.

    ReplyDelete